Do you know about the Sustainable Development Goals?
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the world\’s best plan to build a better world for people and our planet by 2030. Adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, the SDGs are a call for action by all countries – poor, rich and middle-income – to promote prosperity while protecting the environment.
Therefore, they recognise that ending poverty must go hand-in-hand with strategies that build economic growth and address a range of social needs including education, health, equality and job opportunities, while tackling climate change and working to preserve our ocean and forests (UN, 2019).[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=\”18\” gal_title=\”SDGs\”]
The 17 SDGs
Today\’s session of The Community Girl Project focused on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Attendees were taken through the 17 Goals and how it affects and impact on their lives personally, locally and collectively as a community.
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Discussion on the SDGs
Each goal bearer at the session was made to say something about the goal they had chosen. As a result of this, possible actions such as effective disposal of our wastes at home front, and the need to keep our environment clean and tidy at all times was discussed extensively.
Visitors from Warri Girls Code
We also had two persons from Warri Girls Code, Mr Paul and Mr Emeka, who encouraged attendees to become SDG Ambassadors.
We aim to give young people in our communities in the Niger Delta region the right information delivered in simple ways, in order for them to be equipped and empowered to take actions within their power to ensure that they have a sustainable environment.
We believe that when young people live in a safe and sustainable environment, it will result in them being catalysts of change that will transform their lives personally and collectively to improve sustainable development in our communities.
We encourage people to start having conversations about sustainable development goals and how it impacts on the young. The youth are the future!
#sdgs #sustainabledevelopmentgoals #cmadi #communitydevelopment #sustainability #development #progress #community #education #youth #thecommunitygirlproject #newwarri #warri #Delta #nigerdelta #Nigeria @Falcorp Mangrove Park