When was the last time you as a young person had to make a difficult decision? What did you decide? How did you make the decision?
As young teenagers and adults, boys and girls face difficult and sometimes life changing situations. Sometimes it is difficult to know what to do. Does a boy or girl please his/her parents, his/her friends, teachers, or himself/herself? What if others want different things from him/her?
Making good decisions helps young people avoid risky behaviours and empowers them to get what they want in life. A good choice is when a young person makes important people happy which includes him/herself and does not hurt others in the process.
Steps to take when you want to make important decisions as a young person
1. You have to think of all the good things and bad things that could result from each possible decision.
2. You have to think about what your family and friends will want you to do
3. You have to think about what you want and why.
4. You have to consider all of these views, then make the best choice.
5. You have to be able to share with others the good reasons for the decision you are making.
Possible Situations That Needs A Decision
Sometimes you may be in a situation in which you need to make a decision ‘in the moment’. It may be a choice such as whether or not to have sex with your boyfriend/girlfriend; whether or not to drink alcohol with your friends, or whether or not to cheat on in a school test.
This is why it is important to think about decisions beforehand. When do you want to have sex? How will you protect yourself? What will you do if someone offers you drugs or alcohol?
Taking the time to think about who you are as a person and what will result from the decisions you make will help you make the best possible choices. Everyone makes a bad decision sometimes; no one is perfect. When you make a bad decision as a boy or girl, you should not think less of yourself but you should think about why you made those choices.
Did you think before acting? Did your friends and/or family pressure you to choose? How would you choose differently next time? Are there obstacles that keep you from making the right decision?
Think Before Doing
Thinking about good and bad decisions after the results are known gives young people (boys and girls) better information for thinking about future decisions. This is how boys and girls learn from experiences.
If you enjoyed this article, please do share with your friends.
If you have any questions as a young person, you can contact us via the following channels:
- Email – email@example.com
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/thecgirlp
- Instagram – @thecommunitygirlproject
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/thecommunitygirlproject/