Today is #GHD2016 (Global Handwashing Day 2016) and it was the focus of today\’s class. We are still excited from today\’s session which focused on the benefits of handwashing. Very enjoyable and quite tiring. We started the session with a recap of our last session (Nigeria @56 and Tourist attractions in Nigeria).
We had some new participants and they had to introduce themselves. One of them basically told us half her life story during the introductions. It was hilarious and she did get a huge round of applause when she was done.
We went into the main activity of the day. The girls were asked why you need to wash your hands before eating, after using the toilet, when you return from outside, when you sneeze, etc. We explained to the girls how germs are spread.
Germs are spread;
- through contact with a sick person\’s body fluids
- on contaminated surfaces
- touching dirty hands
- through contaminated water and food
- through droplets in the air released during a cough or sneeze
- changing dirty diapers
When kids come into contact with germs, they can become infected just by touching their eyes, nose, or mouth. And once they\’re infected, it\’s usually just a matter of time before the whole family comes down with the same illness.
They were then asked to demonstrate #PROPERHANDWASHINGTECHNIQUE.
The steps to a good handwashing are:
- Wet hands with clean and warm running water.
- Apply a small amount of soap.
- Rub your palms together, away from the water.
- Rub your fingers, thumbs and the skin in between them.
- Scrub your palms with your nails.
- Rub the back of each hand.
- Rinse with clean running water.
- Dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
After that, they went to play games such as TEN TEN, SIWE, JUMPING ROPES, GAME BOX and some new games the girls taught us. After this, the girls had to wash their hands as it is all about handwashing and healthy living.
It was a beautiful day and we can\’t wait for the next session.